Before I started traveling throughout the US while car-dwelling, I needed to figure out what cell phone plan to use. I finally found the best cell service company for me and wanted to spread the word to others. I had the following things in mind:
- cheap service, I’m frugal
- no contract, I prefer “pre-paid” plans and I set them to auto-pay each month, I don’t want to be locked into any carriers service and I only buy unlocked phones
- fast enough speed to get work done as a digital nomad
- allows hotspot, I need to use my phone as a remote router to get internet on my laptop
- truly unlimited data, most companies say unlimited but then drop your speed dramatically after you use a set amount of data
Visible – 25$ month
The answer is Visible, they use Verizon towers. I switched away from Google Fi because it was expensive for the amount of data that I use while working online. I switched away from T-Mobile because I always had bad signal strength. I don’t have these types of issues with Visible, it’s cheap and has relatively good signal strength and speeds in most locations.
Visible has something called party-pay that allows you to group up with others to drop the price of your plan to 25$ a month. You don’t have to actually know the people in your group. You can join this popular Reddit party-pay group with thousands of members to get your bill dropped to the lowest possible price.
What you Get & Limitations
There are some things you need to be aware of before you sign up. These are all the important details. There are pros and cons to such a budget-priced service, but the good news is that you can cancel at any time if you feel like Visible isn’t the best option for you.
- Unlimited everything with no hidden fees. You get unlimited calls, data, and text.
- Calling to Canada and Mexico is included with no additional fees.
- No data caps on hotspot usage, you can use an unlimited amount of data.
- Hotspot usage has a speed cap of 5 Mbps and is limited to one device. You can hotspot from your phone to your laptop, but not any other additional devices. The speed cap doesn’t bother me for general internet browsing and video streaming.
- Data deprioritization – Your data can be temporarily slowed during times of high network congestion or traffic from other people. This is something I expected from a budget service but it isn’t as bad as it sounds.
Sign up – Special Promotions
Check out this page: https://www.visible.com/get/3qgQ6M, it has all the info you need to know about joining Visible. When you use my friend code, 3qgQ6M, you’ll get your first month of service for only $5! After you sign up for Visible, join the Reddit party-pay group https://www.visible.com/p/Reddit_Upvote to drop your bill to $25 a month after the $5 first month promotion ends.